Degree in Geological Sciences - University of Palermo (Thesis: Calcareous Nannofissils Biostratigraphy and Cyclostratigraphy at the Langhian - Serravallian section of "Le Portelle" - Palazzo Adriano).
PhD in Sedimentary Geology - University of Naples "Federico II" (Thesis: Calcareous Nannofossils quantitative biostratigraphy of the middle and upper Miocene of the Central Sector of the Mediterranean).
Since 2011 CNR Researcher at the Institute of Mediterranean Studies.
Calcareous Nannofossil (micropaleontology) and its use in biostratigraphy, biocronology, paleoclimatic and paleo environmental reconstructions during the Neogene, in marine cores and in land sections in the Mediterranean and the Oceans. Recently, study of living Coccolitophorids ecology, environmental analyses and anthropic impact.
Paleoceanography, paleoclimatology and biostratigraphy using Calcareous Nannofossils (statistical analysis, signal analysis, cyclostratigraphy). Micropaleontology of Calcareous Nannofossils in marine sediments of the Mediterranean and Atlantic Ocean and ecology of living Coccolithophores. Use of Calcareous Nannofossils as proxies for the quantitative definition of past climate variability and for paleoenvironmental reconstructions.Relevant research area:
Link to Google Scholar
- Bonomo S., Ferrante G., Palazzi E., Pelosi N., Lirer F., Viegi G., La Grutta S. 2019; Evidence for a link between the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and annual asthma mortality rates in the US. Scientific Reports; 9 (1): 11683. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-48178-1
- Bonomo, S., Placenti, F., Zgozi, S., (...), Assughayer, M., Bonanno, A. 2018; Relationship between coccolithophores and the physical and chemical oceanography of eastern Libyan coastal waters. Hydrobiologia 821(1), pp. 215-234.
- Di Rita, F., Lirer, F., Bonomo, S., (...), Vallefuoco, M., Magri, D. 2018; Late Holocene forest dynamics in the Gulf of Gaeta (central Mediterranean) in relation to NAO variability and human impact,.Quaternary Science Reviews 179, pp. 137-152
- Bonomo, S., Placenti, F., Quinci, E.M., (...), Mazzola, S., Bonanno, A. 2017; Living coccolithophores community from Southern Tyrrhenian Sea (Central Mediterranean — Summer 2009). Marine Micropaleontology 131, pp. 10-24.
- Bonomo, S., Cascella, A., Alberico, I., (...), Agnini, C., Pappone, G. 2016; Reworked Coccoliths as runoff proxy for the last 400 years: The case of Gaeta Gulf (central Tyrrhenian Sea, Central Italy). Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 459, pp. 15-28
- Margaritelli, G., Vallefuoco, M., Di Rita, F., (...), Rettori, R., Lirer, F. 2016; Marine response to climate changes during the last five millennia in the central Mediterranean Sea. Global and Planetary Change 142, pp. 53-72
- Bonomo, S., Cascella, A., Alberico, I., (...), Vallefuoco, M., Marsella, E. 2014; Coccolithophores from near the Volturno estuary (central Tyrrhenian Sea). Marine Micropaleontology 111, pp. 26-37
- Bonomo, S., Grelaud, M., Incarbona, A., (...), Zgozi, S., Ziveri, P. 2012; Living Coccolithophores from the Gulf of Sirte (Southern Mediterranean Sea) during the summer of 2008. Micropaleontology 58(6), pp. 487-503
- Incarbona, A., Ziveri, P., Di Stefano, E., (...), Mazzola, S., Sprovieri, R. 2010; The impact of the little ice age on coccolithophores in the central mediterranea sea. Climate of the Past 6(6), pp. 795-805
- Incarbona, A., Stefano, E.D., Bonomo, S. 2009; Calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy of the central Mediterranean Basin during the last 430,000 years. Stratigraphy 6(1), pp. 33-44
- Sprovieri, R., Bonomo, S., Caruso, A., (...), Mazzei, R., Salvatorini, G. 2002; An integrated calcareous plankton biostratigraphic scheme and biochronology for the Mediterranean Middle Miocene. Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia 108(2), pp. 337-353
- Project “NEXTDATA” - A national system for the retrieval, storage, access and diffusion of environment and climate data from mountain and marine areas (WP 1.5-Paleoclimatic data from marine sedimentary cores): http://nextdataproject.it/
- Project "TIMED” - Testing the role of Mediterranean thermohaline circulation as a sensor of transient climate events and shaker of North Atlantic Circulation: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/202615/factsheet/fr
- Project I-Amica (PON Ricerca e Competitività 2007-2013) as part of the seasonal monitoring of the marine-coastal area at the mouth of the River Volturno (Campania), studying the processes of the biosphere-hydrosphere interface and the functionalities of coastal ecosystems.
- Project PON01_2651 SIGIEC – he participated as a researcher in the project "Integrated Management System for Coastal Erosion". National Operational Programme for Research and Competitiveness for Convergence Regions 2007/2013.
- Project PON01_Pon Ricerca & Competitività PARFAMAR (Strengthening of Research and Training Activities on the Marine Environment in Southern Italy).
- Project PON01_02818 AMICUS "Study of the reduction of pollution and protection of the coastal environment in selected areas of Calabria". National Operational Programme for Research and Competitiveness for Convergence Regions 2007/2013.
- Project PRIN Bando 2012 "The "GSSP" (Global Stratigraphic Section and Point) of the Burdigaliano Plan: the missing piece in the Neogenic interval of the Geological Time Scale..